BookRatMisty

BookRatMisty

Anahita's Woven Riddle

Anahita's Woven Riddle - Meghan Nuttall Sayres I am not going to lie, I fell in love with the coverAnahita's Woven Riddle and that was a big reason I had to read it. I am glad I did. The book takes place in Iran (Persia) around 100 yrs ago, and centers around a young carpet-weaving nomad, Anahita. When her father tells her that it is time for her to marry, and that the local khan (a boorish, crude man who holds the villages fate in his hands) is interested in her, riddle-loving Anahita comes up with a plan to weave a riddle into her wedding carpet, and marry only the man that can solve it. Her father is at first against it, but the idea takes on a life of its own, sweeping up the villagers and far-flung strangers. Some are shocked by Anahita's boldness, some envious of her chance at a choice in who she marries, but spirited Anahita (though she at times feels the contest has gotten away from her) cannot make her self submit to a life where she has no choice, and where her talents, personality and intelligence are not prized.The book changes perspective from Anahita to some of the men who pursue her and enter her contest, and though there are times when this can get a little frustrating, it is interesting none the less, and allows the reader to make a choice as well: who do we want Anahita to marry? I am not sure how likely the story is (a young nomadic girl in a culture and time when women do not have much of a say about anything), but there are always exceptions to rules, and there are always people who stand out and stand up for what they want. I think young girls will enjoy her journey and her fiestiness, and they will get a dose of culture as well.