BookRatMisty

BookRatMisty

The Fairy Folk and She: A Tale of Friendship and Love

The Fairy Folk And She - Mary-Anne Grosse Ivie I read a decent enough review of this from someone I trust to make me think that I should give it a try, so when the author approached me about reviewing, I agreed even though I've been trying to stay away from self-published/vanity press/etc works. And I hate to do this, I really do, because I think there is heart in this book. But this is one of the most fractured, stilted, didactic pieces of something I have read in some time. I went in circles for days before I sat down to write this review, and I couldn't come up with any other way to say it. I just -- hmm. I feel like I need to rein myself in a bit because I'm not intending to be mean, I know this is someone's baby, and she was nice enough to send it to me, and there will be people that will love this, and love to read it with their children. And in a way, that's what it reads like. It reads like a meandering bedtime story told by a distracted parent to a constantly-interrupting child, giving a sort of simple but incomplete feel to the story. Things just seem to happen out of nowhere, with no real impetus, and then they're over and the next thing happens. There's no real flow or -- I don't know if this will make sense, but it was a little too much like storytelling and a little too less storywriting. In the end, it just was. It reminded me of the scene from an episode of family guy where they have a tangent about the Canadian film festival, and it was just this pointless little story where nothing happened and the dialogue was stitled and simple. That's how I felt reading this. Maybe not fair, maybe it's just not the story for me, but there you have it.(btw, totally embedded the Fam Guy ep in my review on the blog...)