BookRatMisty

BookRatMisty

Bailey's Day

Bailey's Day - Robert Haggerty 3.5My video review of this, including an excerpt, can be found here.Briefly: Bailey's Day is the story of the dog, Bailey, and her friend, Frankie, and what they do during the day while their owners are away at work. Things I liked: Bailey and Frankie are cute, the illustrations are fun and engaging, in a sort of "coloring book" style with very vibrant colors. Bailey has cute little adventures, all very dog-like. There are pictures of the read Bailey in the back that show Bailey in some of these same behaviors, which is a fun addition. The story is told simply and would make a good easy reader.Things I didn't like: I had a bit of an issue in the story's structure, in that most of it is told through Bailey, but when there's dialogue, it's just plopped down in the middle in plain text, no quotation marks or attributions. I have a problem with this for 2 reasons: one, things should be consistent for any writer, and two -- this is the big one -- when a child is learning to read, rules need to be followed. Having dialogue that comes out of left field and is unattributed or awkward just isn't good for the learning process. Yes, they will probably still understand what is going on, and yes, I am probably being nit-picky, but still.I also wasn't a huge fan of the font used, and there was a weird color-block on some pages where the text was concerned: there was a color overlay on the page that looked as if whoever formatted the book didn't know how to make the text box transparent, so they tried to make it the same color as the background, which cut off or covered items in the scene. Not a huge deal, but a little weird nonetheless.Overall: Cute fun read, especially for dog lovers. I would suggest a library borrow, if possible, rather than a buy, though.