BookRatMisty

BookRatMisty

Red Moon Rising

Red Moon Rising - Peter Moore 3.5 Enjoyable, but pet peevish.Red Moon Rising was far more enjoyable than I anticipated it being (and I know that sounds weird -- why read a book you don't anticipate enjoying?). I found myself fairly immersed in it whenever I would sit down to read it, and Danny's voice felt authentic and engaging most of the time. There were some issues at play, and some really interesting dynamics that I enjoyed exploring with Danny, and all in all, I would have given the book a fairly heart recommendation -- if it weren't for a few things that really nagged at me.1) I had some trouble swallowing the worldbuilding. I mean, the idea of having this level of paranormal racism and tension is really appealing, and I could see how, if such beings existed and were out in the open, there would be a real issue here. But the getting there was a little strained to me. Some things fit so perfectly, like the fact that wulves are ugly and deformed from changing, and this is of course used as proof of their inferiority and beastliness. This makes perfect sense in that scary way humans have of justifying the worst in humanity. But some things -- like the fact that vampires are insanely smarter for no apparent reason, or that they were feared and reviled until about 80 years ago, and are now society's elite -- these things didn't make sense to me, and they distracted me from the story in a jarring way. I had trouble just buying it, or reconciling the feeling that there was some legitimate reason for the separatism the story revolves around. It would have been so much more complex and believable if there was no real reason for the specism -- if it was on a level of modern-day and/or historical good ole-fashioned racism, where there's no real reason genetically for the racism. It would have been more interesting to me if there wasn't a reason beyond the physicality and the lifestyles to lead to the racism -- if it was just like now, when people really have no reason beyond what they see and what they're taught.2) But even bigger than that, and really, this is kind of stupid, but it drove me NUTS, there was this issue with trying to make things -- I dunno, current? Pop-culturey? -- that rang so false, and was done in such an off-putting way. Basically, it was almost like some weird comedy sketch, where the comedian doesn't want to be sued for a parody, so they slightly change the names of the subjects used. So, instead of saying David Bowie, Moore would say David Bo-E (