BookRatMisty

BookRatMisty

Poison Study

Poison Study - I'm going to get straight to the point: I love this book. Wholeheartedly, in retrospect. It came highly recommended shortly after its release from a friend, and I was dubious. It wasn't the type of book I read at that time, and from the first 20 pages or so, I didn't think I was going to like it. And then something clicked and I found myself falling in love. With Yelena. With Valek. With Ixia and the Commander, and every little detail of the fully-realized world Maria V. Snyder created.It's one of those I've never fully reviewed because I don't even know what to say or where to begin. I can't talk about it, I can only discuss it. About a year and a half ago, my book club (devoted Snyder fans, all) got Maria to come to town for a couple of events, and we hung out with her and had a rollicking good time. At our first dinner with her, this big, loud, lovely affair, we abandoned our polite Company Behavior and devolved into our normal book club selves, yelling over each other about our favorite characters and how things should happen, and who was clearly right and who was hopelessly wrong...Maria sat back and watched it all like the cat who'd eaten the canary. It must be a heady experience to see people get so involved in your writing. And that's the highest recommendation I can give. We cared. We still argue about it. We still have a tendency to turn roughly 1/2 of our monthly meetings into animated discussions about Maria's work (generally, the Glass series, in which we most disagree on things). When someone new joins and asks us what to read, we all say "Poison Study" like Stepford Readers. So what should you read?Poison Study.